First business: there’s a new shawl in town, if by ”new shawl” you mean ”downloadable .PDF of the shawl design written as a pattern so you can make your own,” and by “town” you mean ”on my Ravelry page.”
It’s called Iteration. It ends up being a pretty rewarding project; I think the unique shape makes it very wearable. It can be folded in half to wear like a triangle-ish shawl, over the shoulders, but it expands into a hexagon.
Second order of business is increased cost of living and how it is starting to be felt, oh no!
So! I’ve only been on social media hiatus for about three days, but it seems, for now, to have been Enough.
(I’m not sure if you could tell there was a hiaturs; I’m not sure I’d expect you to be able to tell, even if you were following any of my media closely. My posting schedule overall is not the most consistent.)
Anyway, today we have Weird Fitted Cowl Thing, officially called Hex Key Cowl. It’s oddly shaped and, unusually for me, involves your choice of mattress seaming or a three-needle bindoff. (I went with the latter. I don’t love sewing knits, although I’m getting better at it, and it’s started to feel satisfying and pro; it doesn’t look like I couldn’t seam a potholder to save a life anymore. So that’s nice.)
I’m actually pretty well pleased with how it turned out! I’m working on a second sample, with hopes to explore some tentative ideas; I had a third finishing option that might be a nice potential addition to the pattern, and some things that are less directly related. (It’s anyone’s guess which are goin
Anyway, meanwhile, it’s spring! Holy crap! I’ve been dealing with subzero cold fronts for the past six weeks, up til recently. I am not used to this. These concepts. Sunlight. Plants growing. It’s weird.
First person who comments with the correct namesake for this hat gets a free mouse army Ravelry .PDF of their choosing. (You have to be able to receive Ravelry gifts, so this may be limited to registered users, but I’m not sure. I may be able to work around that, actually. But I am not going to be unreasonable; no carrier pigeons, no morse code.)
It’s Octagon Time! It’s a blanket/basic shawl. Really, what it is depends on what you want to make, and what yarn you use.
I went a bit wild and self-indulgent on this one; it is probably the most hedonistic use of an expensive yarn I’ve ever committed. The soft blue gradient yarn making up most of the project is Cascade 220 Superwash Wave in Deep Sea; the bold near-neon-green stripe is Dream in Color City in Pickleball.
(The smaller stripes are Malabrigo Yarn Rios in Apple Green, and the subtle, thicker bands are Malabrigo Washted in Aguas and Cirrus Gray. It was meant as a scrap-friendly project, and technically it is that, but I kind of like the Cascade background and the contrasting stripes. The .PDF is written as a formula, and doesn’t really include instructions for stripes. If you’d like to knit something with a similar color pattern, I had about 16-18 garter ridges separating all the bright green bands, and stayed pretty consistent with that all through the blanket. The middle might be the smallest band of main color; it’s about 14 ridges.)
Weirdly, despite the hedonism and all my feelings about it, I really like the result, and want to keep it, and not allow the dog to steal it; something about the murky blue-greens and the shocking contrast stripes really appeals. (I will probably keep it. It’s a small throw and not really adult-sized, so something that’s a dog or a kid will probably end up with it eventually. Maybe not the dog though. She got the Garter Square blanket sample. Makes her tacky dog bed look slightly better.)
I’m reworking the Columnar Jointing hat and cowl, because frankly I’ve been using a much better method of setting up the transitions for this style of hat in all the related designs since this one originally went out. The original design works, but the improved version is so much better and smoother I’m feeling a lot of mortification about releasing the new .PDF just because it is so daft by comparison. I overcomplicated a thing in a pretty remarkable way; this way is better; mea culpa.
Anyway, this way is just so much better that as much as I hate advertising that I didn’t do it the best possible way the first time, I’m doing a new edition of the pattern; if you liked the hat, you’ll like this one better, and I’d highly encourage you to download the new version if you have the old one.
An additional hat size. (It’s a size small, intended for preteen kids. However, you do have to watch the brim edge on this design to make sure it’s not tight, so if you’re in doubt as to which size to make, size up. It’s better to have a hat with a folding brim than a hat that’s too tight and unpleasant for a kid, and s/m will also work for a lot of kids’ sizes.)
New instructions for picking up stitches. It’s a very small change, but it makes the project flow a lot better. If you’ve done Columnar Jointing and Strandlines, or the Trinity Lace hat, you’ll know right away what’s changed to bring the first design up to an improved level.
A stockinette gauge for reference! I have a lot of trouble imagining that anyone will do a stockinette swatch for a hat, since I walk around with Elizabeth Zimmermann’s idea that hats are basically almost swatch-sized in my head, but if you know your stockinette gauge in a given yarn to begin with, it might be helpful.
Today’s been a day of writing a lot of things and then apparently closing the most vitally important tab, the one full of all the stuff I was writing. RIP, Ravelry pattern page notes. RIP, little new design.
(Seriously, if I get this done at all this evening, it’s going to be, well, this evening, and so it’ll be awfully late as patterns go.)